How to explore the Gap of Dunloe
The Best ways to see the Gap is take the “Gap of Dunloe Tour”
- On a Bike
- Pony and trap
Drive of not to Drive
Families live both in the Gap of Dunloe and the Black Valley and you may meet private cars, jeeps pulling sheep trailers and horses on the road. We do not recommend driving as you may also encounter, Cyclists, Pedestrians, Cars, Jeeps, Small trucks and Horses pulling Carts.
Aerial view of the Gap of Dunloe
A beautiful scenic trip to this magnificent valley and its lakes.
- Rock faces used by Kerry mountain rescue
- Pass the wishing bridge and hear your echo travel through the Gap of Dunloe
- Nice palace to take photos.
MacGillycuddy reeks and the Kerry Ridge
Beautiful location, looking up from the Black Valley at the Highest Mountain range in Ireland
- The Big Gun and Knocknapeasta both over 3,000 feet highe
Welcome to the Black valley
One of the most remote parts of Ireland
- The Black Valley has a small Church a Hostel and some local residental houses mostly near the Church
The Old Weir bridge and the Meeting of the Waters
In day gone by this area of Killarney was written about my many writers of old.
- Connects the three lakes of Killarney
- The calm waters lead to the Middle Lake and also the Lower lake in Killarney
- This view is from Dinis Cottage
Boat trip on the Gap of Dunloe Tour.
Boat trip heading for Ross Castle
- Private trips are also available from Ross Castle and Muckross boathouse
- Bikes can be carried on the boats also
- We recommend you take your bike with you from Ross Castle to Lord Brandon’s Cottage, have your lunch and cycle the Black Valley and the Gap of Dunloe back to Killarney, via the Fossa Way.